Cwmllynfell, Swansea Valley (736103)

There was a Park Colliery working in 1896, it was owned by Hugh Pritchard of Ystradgynlais and employed 2 men. In 1945 Bevan and Morgan of Brynamman employed one man working underground and one man working on the surface of this level.

A new anthracite level was opened in 1946 and continued to be worked under license from the National Coal Board from Nationalisation in 1947 to 1975 by Bevan and Morgan.

In 1975 a new drift was opened by Wilkins and Llewellyn and in 1988 it was worked by the Parc Level Colliery Company Limited.

In 1992 it was owned by Allied Anthracite Mining Company and was working the No.1 Rhondda seam. In 1957 it employed 14 men working in the
Ynisarwed seam and 3 men at the surface of the mine. This was probably the only licensed mine in the Coalfield that used locomotives to haul the
coal out of the mine.


Information supplied by Ray Lawrence and used here with his permission.

Return to previous page