It is reported that mining activities have taken place in the Trimsaran area dating back hundreds of years. By 1896, the Inspector of Mines recorded that Trimsaran employed 144 men, producing coal, anthracite, and fireclay. By the early 20th century three drifts made up Trimsaran Colliery, Caedean, Waunhir and the Upper Slant. They were connected underground and on the surface by a tramway.
In February 1907, at the Waunhir slant, 6 men died when a coupling plate broke and full mine cars ran wild down the drift. The full report can be found here.
Waunhir and Cadean Slants employed 198 men in 1908 and by 1918 the workforce had grown to 435. By 1923 there were 352 men employed at the Cadean Slant, producing Anthracite and Fire Clay from the Yard, Big Vein, Green and Gregog seams. Top Colliery (Upper Slant) produced Anthracite from the Gregog seam, employing 63 men. At the Waunhir slant, Anthracite was produced from the Green, Yard, Two Feet and Gregog seams with 126 men.
Ten men were killed here on the 26th of April 1923, whilst travelling out of the mine at the end of the day shift. The full report can be found here.
In 1931 the mine was owned by Amalgamated Anthracite Ltd. and employed 700 men falling to 300 men in 1945. On nationalisation, the colliery passed to the National Coal Board who worked it until closure in April 1954. Most of the workforce was transferred to nearby Carway and Pentremawr collieries.
The plans below have been prepared by Lee Reynolds and used here with his permission.
Composite plan of all seams
Plan of 2ft Seam
Plan of Big Seam
Plan of Drap Seam
Plan of Green Seam
Plan of Gregog Seam
Plan of Waunfynonau Seam
Plan of Yard Seam
Return to previous page