Glyncorrwg, Afan Valley 894006.

Opened into the No.2 Rhondda seam for house and manufacturing coals by W. H. Morgan in 1912, by 1914 it was owned by the Blaencorrwg Colliery Company Limited. It employed 150 men with A. Wilkins as the manager in 1919/20/22. In 1923 it employed 65 men working underground and 45 men working at the surface of the mine and produced 27,000 tons of coal. The manager was still A. Wilkins. In 1924 it employed 150 miners. This company was not a member of the Monmouthshire and South Wales Coal Owners Association. The seam it worked was as equally vague being mentioned as the Rider coal, it was abandoned in May 1924. The No.2 Blaencorrwg worked the No.2 Rhondda seam which it abandoned in October 1915.

It was not on the 1921 map of the coalfield, but in 1922 it employed 150 men. In 1925 it was owned by the East Rhondda Colliery Company and called East Rhondda, in 1932 it is shown to be in the hands of the North Rhondda Colliery Company. Only the North Rhondda Company mines listed in 1935 are the Nos. 1 & 2 Drifts which were probably the Blaencorrwg drifts.

nformation supplied by Ray Lawrence and used here with his permission.

Return to previous page