Pontrhydyfen 802937

The first listing that we can find for this colliery was in 1921/4 when it is owned by the Penhydd Colliery Company and is listed as developing and employing 5 to 15 men. It was back to five men in 1928.

It abandoned the Field seam in June 1929 but continued to work the Wernpistyll seam. In 1932 it is shown as being owned by the Amalgamated Anthracite Collieries Limited but then disappears until 1947 when a licenced mine of that name is shown to be worked by the Penhydd Colliery Company Limited of Port Talbot.

It employed 18 men in 1950. It was still listed in 1955 and 1957 when it was working the Clay seam and employed 30 men underground and 5 on the surface of the mine. It closed in 1960. A Penhydd Newydd (with no location) was listed in 1992 as being owned by the New Parc Fuels Limited. It was working both coal and clay.

Information supplied by Ray Lawrence and used here with his permission.

Return to previous page