Heol-y-Cyw (SS 9501 8422)

Link to map

A series of at least four drifts. The No.2 Drift was known as the Bryncethin and worked the Field Vein (the Upper part of the No.2 Rhondda seam) which had a thickness of 84 inches of mixed coal and dirt.

The No.4 Drift was driven into the Pentre seam which in this area was called the Lantern seam. It was worked and had a thickness of up to 83 inches of mixed coal and dirt. Raglan Colliery also worked the Hafod seam and a small amount of the No.3 Rhondda seam which had a thickness of 34 inches.

It was managed by H.V. Thornley and employed 208 men in 1907 and 249 men underground and 22 men on the surface in 1908.

On the 12th of April 1911, Tom Wiltshire aged 29 years and a collier, died under a roof fall. On the 11th of September 1911, W.J. Hawkins, aged 21 years and an Overman, died while cutting place for a fan, two tons of clay that had been undercut fell on him.

It was still managed by Mr. Thornley when it employed 427 men in 1913 and was owned by Hedleys Collieries Limited, whose sales agent advertised in that year:

E.W. Cook & Co. Swansea and Cardiff Colliery Proprietors, Coal Exporters, and Pitwood Importers

Sole Shippers of:- ‘Primrose’ Smokeless Steam Coal

‘Hedleys’ Smokeless Steam Coal

‘Raglan’ Gas and Bunker Coal

‘Gleison’ Anthracite (Big Vein)

‘Tareni’ Anthracite (Red Vein)

Shipping Ports- Swansea, Cardiff, Barry, Newport and Port Talbot Shippers of all descriptions of Steam and Anthracite Coals, Bunker Coals, and Patent Fuel

In 1917 the Raglan No.4 Drift was working, and at that time was owned by the Raglan Collieries Company which was not a member of the Monmouthshire and South Wales Coal Owners Association at that time.

In 1918 it employed 219 men underground and 62 men on the surface, the manager was M.Rees.

In September 1920 the Spion Kop slant of this mine hit an underground lake and was flooded with 300 men having to rush out.

In December 1926 the decision was made to build a new washery to enable the mine to compete with its competitors in standards of coal. The main claim to fame for this colliery is in June 1926 during the General Strike, one of its workmen, William Gregory, broke away from the South Wales Miners Federation and led some of the men back to work, eventually, Gregory came to be the Secretary of the South Wales Miners Industrial Union.

On the 19th of August 1929, a strike was called at this pit when management threatened to sack anyone who didn’t join the Miners Industrial Union and not the South Wales Miners Federation. 95% of the men supported the SWMF. The men then massed at the colliery gates and demanded that the manager meet with their representatives. This was done and the SWMF was recognized as the union at Raglan Colliery.

In 1932 the colliery is listed as being owned by the Raglan Collieries Limited of Bank Buildings, Castle Square, Swansea and was producing gas, house, coking and manufacturing coals. It had its own coal preparation plant (washery).

In May 1934 the MP for Ogmore brought up in Parliament that miners at Raglan were being forced to work long hours upon pain of dismissal. The Government of the day issued papers to the Public Prosecutor to act on this matter.

In the Company’s annual meeting in July 1935, the chairman stated that they had closed down Raglan Colliery due to losses, and this closure would save the company £26,000 per annum.

In 1933/4 it employed between five and six men on pumping operations and was not listed in 1935.


Some statistics: manpower:

  • 1900:  97
  • 1901: 184
  • 1902: 234
  • 1903: 338
  • 1905: 252
  • 1907: 208
  • 1908: 271
  • 1909: 271
  • 1910: 170
  • 1911:  19
  • 1912: 213
  • 1913: 427
  • 1918: 281
  • 1924: No.4: 11
  • 1927: No.4: 4
  • 1928: No.4: 6



Heol Laethog, Heol-y-Cyw. (SS 9299 8453)

Link to map

This was a small level that worked the No.3 Rhondda seam which was 34 inches thick and lying on 60 inches of clay. It was owned by the Cardiff District Collieries Limited it employed 10 men in 1900/01, 9 men in 1903, 21 men in 1905,176 men in 1907 and 120 men in 1909 and 156 men in 1910.



Heol-y-Cyw, Bridgend

This was a small mine that made a brief appearance in 1969 when it was owned by T.J. & D.J. Havard of Pentre.



Return to previous page