Pontyrhydyfen 791934.

There was a Tewgoed Colliery listed in 1860/9 as being located near Neath and owned by the Margam Tin Plate Company.

There was also a Tewgoed listed in 1878/93 and was located at Cwmavon, in 1896 it was near Port Talbot and in both 1893/6 owned by R.B. Byass and Company of Port Talbot. It employed eight men in 1896 and produced 43,980 tons of coal in 1898.

In the 1890’s the slants were working the Wernddu seam by pillar & stall using safety lamps. Ventilation was by a Waddle fan 24 feet in diameter. The levels were working the Jonah Rider seam and clay with ventilation by natural means.

The Wernddu Rider seam was abandoned in November 1894, The White seam in September 1899, the Wernddu again in June 1908, the Clay seam in March 1910. The Tewgoed Colliery closed in 1912 and the Tewgoed (Byass) in 1936.

On the 23rd of April 1882, Thomas Williams, aged 48 years and a collier, died under a roof fall. R. B. Byass and Company were the owners, as they were on the 7th of March 1887 when Jacob Aubery, aged 41 years and a collier also died under a roof fall.


Information supplied by Ray Lawrence and used here with his permission.

Return to previous page