Tondu, Bridgend.

This pit was possibly sunk to just below the Lower-Four-Feet seam which it struck at a depth of 806 feet. There was also a slant of this name that worked the No.2 Rhondda seam at a thickness of 42 inches.

It was listed in 1913 as being worked by the Bridgend (Cardiff) Collieries Company Limited when it employed 200 men producing house and gas coals. The manager at that time was G. Lloyd. In 1915/6 the manager was W. Rees and it employed 300 men. It was listed in 1921 as being owned by the Tynywaun Colliery Company Limited and abandoned the Bettws Four-Feet seam in May 1922. At that time it employed 92 men working underground and 30 men working at the surface of the mine and was then owned by the Swansea Spelting Company.

It was probably re-opened and in 1923 it employed 17 men, in 1924/5 it was owned by the National Smelting Company and employed 14 men, and in 1927 it employed 52 men.

On the 25th of April 1925, Edwin Jones, aged 65 years, and a collier was run over and killed by trams.


This information has been provided by Ray Lawrence, from books he has written, which contain much more information, including many photographs, maps and plans. Please contact him at for availability.

Return to previous page