Ogmore Fach. (97558715)

This was a small level that was opened in c1875 by the Jones Brothers. They ended up in financial difficulties and in 1883 it was owned by James
Humby, that is until 1884. In 1885 it was the turn of the Caradog Vale Coal Company which held the mine until 1891. In 1892 Edwin Mulcock had
a bash at it but in 1893 to 1895 it was in the hands of the Ogmore Fach Colliery Company of Blackmill. In that year it employed 17 men working
underground. It was worked by the pillar & stall method using naked lights.

During the major strike of 1893, the manager sought permission from the strike organisers in South Wales to start back production. Stating that his
men had accepted a wage of 5s 6d to 6s. 6d a day which was equal to an advance of 25% on the sliding scale of wages (the men were out for
20%). The men had even offered to return 1d per ton for his kindness.

In 1899 to 1901 it was the turn of the Caradog Vale Colliery Company to take charge, followed by the Groeswen & Caradoc Collieries Company in
1902. At that time it held a mineral take of 233 acres of the No.2 Llantwit (Rhondda) seam.

In 1899 it employed 38 men and was owned by the Caradog Vale Colliery Company with the manager being W.H. Davies. In 1900 it employed 32
men but in 1901 it was listed as discontinued. In 1902 it employed 32 men and in 1903 it employed 23 men. By 1905 it was owned by the South Wales United Collieries Limited and employed 25 men, in 1907 it employed 54 men and in 1909 employed 70 men at this mine with H.G.J. Barrow as the manager. It worked the Lower Glynogwr seam which in this area had a thickness of coal 22 inches, dirt 2 inches, and coal 12 inches.

It was closed when an inrush of water drowned four miners on the 26th of June 1906. The coroner’s jury returned a verdict amounting to one of
manslaughter against Jacob Kingdon, manager and Ernest Quinton, agent of the South Wales United Collieries Limited. At Swansea Assizes, the
judge ruled that there was no case against Quinton and Kingdon was tried and acquitted. The plans showed the working stall to be 22 yards from
the old workings where in fact it was only 26 to 30 inches when the water burst through.


Information supplied by Ray Lawrence and used here with his permission.

Return to previous page