Brynmawr, Ebbw Fach Valley

The Waen Nantyglo Colliery Company of Brynmawr was established in 1875, and incorporated in 1911, under the chairmanship of John Williams they became a large employer in the levels on the outcrop between Brynmawr and Blaenavon.

In 1934 the Waen Nantyglo Colliery Company Limited was based at Brynmawr with the directors being; John Williams, Caleb Williams, Samuel Jones, Mary E. Jones and Myrddin Davies. The company secretary and the commercial manager was Myrddin Davies. At that time this company controlled three collieries that employed 277 men who produced 75,000 tons of coal in that year. The Glyn Level was one of their smallest, and last to be opened. It employed 3 men working the Old Coal seam in 1924 and was abandoned in February 1927 while the No.2 employed 5 men in that year.

The No.2 Level employed 10 men in 1928 and 12 men working underground and one man at the surface in 1930. The manager was William Thomas. It employed 20 men in 1932, but in 1933/8 it is shown to be employing 5 men on the surface, and 25 men underground producing house coal. The manager at that time was W. Daniel. In 1938 manpower was down to 2 men underground and 1 man on the surface but in 1940 it was back up to 30.

It was not worked by the National Coal Board.


Information supplied by Ray Lawrence and used here with his permission.

Return to previous page