It was sunk on land owned by the Rev. Nicholas Chamberlaine Charity in Bedworth in 1830, a time of depression in the silk trade, to provide work for local ribbon weavers.
It worked the: Two Yard, Ryder, Slate, Seven Feet seams, and closed on September 13th 1924.
The income from leasing the colliery allowed the charity to build a school and almshouses in the town.
The owners were:-
|1830-1836||McTaggart & Williams|
|1837-1848||Caroline Williams & Sons|
|1848-1860||Williams & Co.|
|1861||Bedworth Charity Colliery & Ironstone Works|
|1865-1870||Addenbrooks & Pidock|
|1871-1898||Bedworth Coal & Iron Co. Ltd|
|1899-1924||Stanley Brothers Ltd|
George Barker, from Ingleton in North Yorkshire, was the manager between 1876 and 1886.
There was also a Bedworth Colliery in South Africa’s New Vaal coalfield, which was discovered by George William Stow in 1879. Stow was born at Nuneaton, about 4 kms north of Bedworth Charity Colliery, in 1822. He studied medicine, but at the age of 21 he abandoned the profession without having received a diploma and migrated to South Africa, landing at Port Elizabeth in 1843.Return to previous page