A coal seam, thought to be the Bradley Coal, was worked at Coal Pit Close, in Carleton Park, about 400 metres east-south-east of Carleton Biggin in 1609. In the same area, trials at Bayldon Intake reportedly found a seam of coal, which was five quarters (45 inches) thick, under “a fine quarry [bed] of stone”. This was before the outbreak of the Civil War, and hostilities intervened before work began, however, and nothing has been found to suggest that further work was done there.
Gill, M.C. “Great Dales Coalfield, Eastern Areas” British Mining No.86 (2008), pp.68-108Return to previous page