Kilton Mine was open in 1875 after significant expenditure and several fatalities sinking two shafts 700 feet deep.
With a couple of years it was closed and reopened 20 years later.
Subsequently the mine had several periods of closure until 1940 when it reopened and became the penultimate mine to close, in 1963.
Its conical shale heap is the only prominent one to remain in Cleveland.
Return to previous page