Castle Bolton – SE 031941

This mill is shown on a plan of the Grinton Mine, dated 1768, when the Apedale mines were being worked by Chauncy Townsend. The latter’s lease began around 1759, and the Apedale mill was probably built soon after.

The mill appears to have been working when the survey for the first edition O.S. 1/10560 sheet, of 1854, was made, and is assumed to have worked until the closure of the Apedale mine, in 1884. Nevertheless, it never had a flue and was probably closed when Lord Bolton refurbished the Cobscar mill, in 1848.

Further information and references can be found in:

Return to previous page