Grassington – SE 025866
This mill dates from 1637 and was also built by the Earl of Cumberland. It was near the Moor Gate, at Coalgrovebeck, but, though more convenient for the mines, its elevated and exposed location made it susceptible to loss of waterpower through frost or drought.
The mill, which had a single ore-hearth, was closed by 1650 and there is no mention of it in 1692, when the Burlington accounts begin. All that remains of it now is the outfall from the waterwheel and a scatter of slags.
Further information and references can be found in:
- Gill, M.C. Yorkshire Smelting Mills Part 2, Northern Mine Research Society Memoirs 1993, British Mining No 48, pp 132-151