High Abbotside – SD 898926
In 1797, the manor of Wensleydale, which was split into High and Low Abbotside from 1723, passed to James Archibald Stuart Wordey Mackenzie who was created Baron Wharncliffe in 1826.
The manor included the Sargill Mine which was almost certainly driven in the early nineteenth century, when the mill was built.
The mill appears to have closed with the demise of the Sargill Mines Co. around the mid 1860’s.
Further information and references can be found in:
- Gill, M.C. Yorkshire Smelting Mills Part 1, Northern Mine Research Society Memoirs 1992, British Mining No 45, pp 111-150