Stainton – SE 090952
Apart from confirming Dr Raistrick’s grid reference, nothing else has been discovered about this mill, which is shown on Greenwood’s map of 1817. It was built in 1786, by Simon Scroope, and probably closed in the late 1820’s. The building is shown, but not named, on the first O.S. map.
Further information and references can be found in:
- Gill, M.C. Yorkshire Smelting Mills Part 1, Northern Mine Research Society Memoirs 1992, British Mining No 45, pp 111-150