Arthur Robert Andrew died in the Dunedin Hospital, New Zealand, after an illness of some duration, on December 14th, 1941, at the age of 60.
He was born in the Catlins district, and received his education at the Albany Street School and the Otago Boys’ High School, of which he was ‘dux’ in 1898. He won a number of prizes and scholarships and took the degree of B.Sc. in 1902. In 1904 he became an associate of the Otago School of Mines and two years later as the result of geological research work he took the M.Sc. degree of Birmingham University, and in 1911 he attained the degree of D.Sc. in geology at the University of New Zealand.
In the meanwhile, from 1906 to 1909 he was employed as principal mineral surveyor in the Nyasaland Protectorate, Central Africa, under the Colonial Ofﬁce and Crown Agents. From 1910 to 1912 he reported on oil properties in the Republic of Colombia and New Zealand for a London ﬁrm, and for fourteen years, 1912 to 1926, he was attached to the Shell-Royal Dutch oil group as chief geologist in Sarawak and Sinai, as general manager in Jugo-Slavia, as acting and assistant general-manager in Sarawak, and ﬁnally at The Hague in the Central Technical Bureau. In 1926 he returned to New Zealand and lived in retirement until 1932, when he was appointed Director of the Otago School of Mines, and Professor of Mining and Dean of the Mining Faculty, University of Otago. He was a Fellow of the Geological Society from 1906, Member of the Institution of Petroleum Technologists from 1914, and Member of the American Institute of Mining and Metallurgical Engineers, New York.
Dr. Andrew was elected an Associate of the Institution in 1909 and was transferred to Membership in 1913. He resigned his Membership in 1921, but he was re-elected in 1932.
Vol. 52, Trans IMM 1942-43, p. 391