Charles Thomas Andrews died at Middlesex Hospital, London, on September 3rd, 1946, at the age of 62.
He began his career in 1902 as a pupil at the London laboratory of Mr. Edward Riley, where he was employed on the assaying of minerals and metals, and in 1906 was appointed head chemist in charge of the laboratory attached to Carlos Wigg’s manganese and iron ore mines at Mines, Brazil. He held this position for four years, also restarting and managing the local foundry, and then was made mine captain and assistant to the mine manager.
In 1913 Mr. Andrews took up employment with Asia Minor Concessions, Ltd., as mining assistant engaged on the development of various deposits in Turkey, and after a few months he went to Spain, prospecting for Diana Mines, Ltd., Jaen.
During the 1914-18 war he served at Gallipoli with the Royal Naval Division Engineers, and with commissioned rank in 174 and 252 Tunnelling Companies, R.E., in France.
He returned to England in 1918 and re-joined Messrs. Riley, Harbord and Law as assayer and mineral chemist, where he remained for twelve years.
In 1931 and 1932 Mr. Andrews worked in Eire for the British (Non-Ferrous) Mining Corporation, Ltd., and in 1933 went to West Africa and was for three years assistant engineer to the African Manganese Co., Ltd., on the production and assaying staff. He then took up the position of metallurgist with Ustipraca Mining Co., Ltd., in Yugoslavia, and returned to England early in 1939.
In recent years failing health prevented him from practising his profession.
Mr. Andrews was elected to Associateship of the Institution in 1910.
Vol. 56, Trans IMM 1946-47, p. 607