James William Anderson died in Northern Nigeria in June, 1912.
On completing his education he was articled to a ﬁrm of mining engineers in Edinburgh, and during the term of his articles studied at the Heriot Watt College. After the close of his pupillage, he was appointed surveyor to the Lydenburg Gold Exploration Co., Transvaal, and occupied that position from 1896 to 1898. From 1898 to 1903, he acted as assistant manager and surveyor to a slate-quarrying company at Keswick, and for the next two years was engaged as manager of the Lisbon-Berlyn Gold Mining Co. in South Africa. From 1905 to 1907 he was in Canada, occupied with inspecting and reporting in Alberta, and from 1907 to 1908 he was manager of Wolfram mines in Beira-Baixa, Portugal.
In 1908 he started in private practice in England as a mining engineer and surveyor, but in 1910 he was engaged to carry on tin mining in Northern Nigeria, where he remained until his death in 1912.
He held mine managers’ certiﬁcates under the British Coal Mines Act of 1887, and under the Transvaal and Portuguese Governments.
He was a member of the Geological Society of South Africa.
Mr. Anderson was elected an Associate of the Institution in 1911.
Vol. 22, Trans IMM 1912-13, p.715