Walter Stanley Andrews died at his residence in Hornchurch, Essex, on May 31st, 1933, at the age of 40.
He began his professional Career as assistant metallurgical chemist in the laboratory of Messrs Edward Riley & Harbord, in 1911. Three years later he was appointed chief works chemist to the British Metals Extraction Co., Ltd., Llansamlet, South Wales, and in August, 1920, he took over the position of metallurgist and chief works chemist to James Bridge Copper Works, Walsall, Staffordshire.
In February, 1922, he went to Sweden as metallurgist and mines chemist to the Grufaktiebolaget Lake Copper Co. He was back in England in April, 1924, and was in charge of the minerals exhibit in the Madras Court at the British Empire Exhibition, Wembley.
In February, 1925, he went to Canada as chief mine and mill analytical chemist to the British Metal Corporation, Ltd., and was later engaged in the Company’s London laboratory. In March, 1929, he was transferred to the British Non-ferrous Mining Corporation, Ltd., and worked in London and on the company properties at home and abroad.
Mr. Andrews was admitted to studentship of the Institution in 1915, and was transferred to Associateship in 1920.
Vol. 43, Trans IMM 1933-34, p.759