John Henry Davy James died at his residence in Swindon, Wiltshire, on December 27th, 1940, at the age of 66.
He entered the Great Western Railway works at Swindon as an apprentice in 1890, and on conclusion of his articles was transferred to the company’s chemical laboratory until 1903, when he enrolled as a student at the Penzance School of Mining and Science.
On completing his course, he held a temporary appointment under the late Mr. J.H. Collins at a mine near St. Austell, and from 1906 to 1914 he was in full charge of the Descoberto Mine, Minas Geraes, Brazil. For the next twenty-ﬁve years he was actively engaged in the Transvaal, ﬁrst at the New Primrose mine, then at the Consolidated Langlaagte, and ﬁnally at the Van Ryn Deep, Ltd.
Mr. James was admitted to Studentship of the Institution in 1904, and was elected an Associate in 1907.
Vol. 51, Trans IMM 1941-2, p.335.