Samuel Ross Jameson died at Salisbury, Rhodesia, early in October, 1919, at the age of 41 years.
He was born in Cape Colony and was a nephew of Dr. L.S. Jameson (‘Doctor Jim’). From January, 1890, to June, 1895, he received his education in the Colony, ﬁrst at St. Andrew’s College, Grahamstown, and afterwards at the University of the Cape of Good Hope, where he matriculated. Coming over to England, in September, 1895, he entered the engineering works of Ruston, Proctor & Co., Ltd., at Lincoln, where he received practical training for two years. He then went to the Camborne School of Mines, where he passed examinations in surveying, mining, mineralogy, assaying, ore-dressing and chemistry.
On completion of his course in January, 1899, he was engaged as a surveyor and assayer and to report on properties for the Doratha Morton mine, Vancouver, British Columbia. Returning to England in January, 1900, he entered for a special course at the Royal School of Mines, the subjects being geology and mineralogy. The following year he was engaged on Government Survey work at Transkei, Cape Colony, and afterwards as underground sampler on the Jumpers Deep gold mine in the Transvaal.
Early in 1903 he joined the staff of the Penhalonga Proprietary Mines at Umtali, Rhodesia, as mine surveyor, and in 1907 he was appointed assistant general manager of the Penhalonga and Rezende mines, becoming general manager in April, 1910. He occupied that position for upwards of four years, and then became consulting engineer to a group of mines controlled by Sir Abe Bailey, with whom he was associated at the date of his death.
Mr. Jameson was admitted to Studentship of the Institution in 1898; he was elected an Associate in 1903 and transferred to Membership in 1912.
Vol. 30, Trans IMM 1920-21, p.476.