Arthur Spargo died in Cornwall on 13th September, 1952, at the age of 63.

After four years’ practical experience in Cornish tin mines Mr. Spargo entered the Redruth branch of the School of Metalliferous Mining (Cornwall) completing the course and gaining a 1st class Certificate in 1912. He then went to Upper Egypt as assistant underground manager, Barramia Gold Mining and Exploration, Ltd. He was promoted chief underground agent and surveyor two years later and acted as superintendent for six months during 1916. From March, 1917, to May, 1919, he served with the Egyptian Army in Palestine with the rank of lieutenant.

In December, 1919, Mr. Spargo took his first appointment in Nigeria, as engineer with Bisichi Tin Co., Ltd. He left in 1925 to work in the same capacity for Keffi Consolidated Tin Co., Ltd., and in 1927 became manager of East Ropp Tin Co., Ltd., Keffi Group. He returned to England in 1930 on accepting the post of resident engineer on the Portreath Tunnelling Scheme of the Redruth U.D.C., and early in 1932 took the appointment of assistant to Mr. J.D. Haworth, a London civil engineer, on surveying and public works, being engineer-in-charge of water schemes for Redruth R.D.C.

In the following year he returned to Nigeria to join Argus Tin Corporation, Ltd., where he worked for two years before taking the appointment of joint manager of Potashi Gold Estates, Ltd., in 1936. He left in 1937 to take the position of engineer with London Nigerian Tin Mines, Ltd., and was shortly afterwards made area manager of the Sabon Gida Areas of Amalgamated Tin Mines, Ltd., under a central management. He held this post for over seven years, and in January, 1945, was appointed district superintendent of the Northern Areas of the company. He retired in 1947 on reaching the age limit, and set up in practice in Bukuru as a mining engineer and licensed surveyor. Mr. Spargo was about to return to Nigeria from Cornwall when he was taken ill and died in hospital.

He was elected a Student of the Institution in 1913, was transferred to Associate Membership in 1920 and to Membership in 1950.

Vol. 62, Trans I.M.M., 1952-53, p.420

Back to index page