Henry St. John Somerset died on 30th September, 1952, in Melbourne. He was 77 years of age.

He was educated at Brisbane Grammar School and entered the firm of Irvine and Fuller, analysts and assayers, in 1892. The following year he joined the staff of Mount Morgan Gold Mining Co., as junior assayer, two years later being promoted to assayer-in-charge of the dry laboratory. In 1899 Mr. Somerset was placed in charge of both wet and dry laboratories, and in April, 1905, was appointed assistant metallurgist and later that year metallurgist in charge of the copper smelter. He held that position until 1911 when he left Mount Morgan and was engaged on consulting work in Sydney for two years. In 1914 he joined Great Cobar Copper Co. as assistant to the chief metallurgist. Later that year the company ceased operation, but on its re-opening in 1915 Mr. Somerset was made chief metallurgist.

In July, 1917, he entered the service of Broken Hill Associated Smelters Pty., Ltd., as plant superintendent at the lead smelter in Port Pirie, and in May, 1919, was made acting general superintendent. The following year he was made general superintendent of that company.

From 1926 to 1945 Mr. Somerset was general manager of the Electrolytic Zinc Company of Australasia, Ltd., and from 1945 to 1947 held the position of managing director. During his association with the company the Rosebery mine was developed and the Risden zinc plant extended.

Mr. Somerset was also connected with the development of paper-making plant of Associated Pulp and Paper Mills, Ltd., Burnie, and was a director from its inception.

Mr. Somerset was elected a Member of the Institution in 1924. He was a Member of Council of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy from 1926 to 1947, serving as Vice-President in 1927-30 and as President in 1931. He was a member of the Board of the Australian Mines and Metals Association from 1937 to 1944, and was President of the Association from 1944.

Vol. 62, Trans I.M.M., 1952-53, p.300

Back to index page