Herbert Richard Sleeman died in Perth, Western Australia, on 8th October, 1956, at the age of 84.

He began his training as an engineering student on the railways of Victoria, Australia, and then studied mining engineering at the Ballarat School of Mines, leaving in 1894 with the award of an Associateship of the School and first-class mine manager’s certificate. In the following year Mr. Sleeman studied privately and visited various mining fields, and between 1896 and 1899 worked on Witwatersrand gold mines gaining experience.

In September, 1899, Mr. Sleeman took up the position of manager of Red and White Rose Gold Mining Co., in Rhodesia, and after 15 months returned to Australia, reporting on mines at Ballarat and later in Tasmania. He was made assistant manager on the Akroketri (Ashanti) mines in 1901 and manager of New Adansi Gold Fields, Ltd.

He left the Gold Coast in 1903 for London, and shortly afterwards went to Egypt to work for 18 months as manager of North Nile Valley, Ltd. He prospected in Cornwall for a short period, and from 1905 to 1906 held the post of general manager of Bibiani Gold Fields, Ltd., and then managed Obenemasi gold fields.

An accident caused him to be invalided home, but he was soon afterwards appointed superintending engineer to Whim Well Copper Mines, Ltd., Western Australia, later holding the title of general manager. In 1914 Mr. Sleeman began practising privately as consulting engineer, mainly in Western Australia. He was connected for many years with Pilbara Copper Fields, Ltd., and in 1934 joined the management of Corderoy Mines, Ltd., for whom he was also consulting engineer. He maintained an active interest in mining affairs until very shortly before his death.

Mr. Sleeman contributed three papers to the Institution: ‘An Egyptian gold mine’, in 1904; ‘The detailed mapping of stoping areas’ (Transactions, vol. 15, 1905-06); and ‘The Whim Well copper mine, West Pilbara, North-west Australia’, (Transactions, vol. 21, 1911-12).

He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1902 and transferred to Membership in 1908.

Vol. 67, Trans I.M.M., 1957-58, p.196

Back to index page